Not a morning person? Yeah, I wasn’t either. The thought of setting my alarm earlier than absolutely necessary was laughable. That was until I had kids. And Jobs. And a full life. I started to realize when I was getting up WITH the kids I was always rushing, behind schedule and often ended up with me yelling at someone. Feeling me?
Last year I started to get up an hour earlier than I needed to. It was gradual you can’t just do that at once, it won’t work. Fifteen minutes earlier each week is a good start. Some days are tough but I established a morning ritual that takes about 5 minutes and I do it IN BED. This routine allows me a few moments to get my mind and my body awake before the day really starts with getting dressed, making lunches and feeding the dog. Now I actually look forward to it. Really, I do!
How you start your morning can translate to the rest of your day. Having a morning ritual can improve productivity, organization, lower stress and give you more energy to carry you through the day. Some elements of a morning ritual might include:
- Making your bed
- Self-Care like a face mask
- Enjoy a healthy drink of water or tea
My morning ritual…Before I get out of BED:
- DON’T HIT SNOOZE! Wake up @6:15 am (Kids are up at 7:15am). I do my best to NOT look at my phone right away.
- BIG GULPS (Not from 7-11) I sit up and take several big drinks of water (Set by the bedside the night before).
- STRETCH/YOGA – Stretch in bed, whatever feels good. Sometimes its yoga like moves sometimes its stretching my body really long, whatever feels yummy at the moment.
- BREATHE – Take 5 deep breaths. If I am feeling it, I listen to a guided 5 minute meditation.
- JOURNAL – I grab my journal that is also at my bedside. I quickly write 3 things I am grateful for and 3 goals for the day. I don’t overthink it, it’s whatever comes out.
If it is a workout day, I get up and get the workout gear on (set out the night before), make my Athletic Greens and take my supplements while I get ready for 30 minutes of yoga or Peloton. When I am done I get the girls moving, make my bed and I am ready to OWN my day. Alert, confident and feeling productive.
If you are interested in my Morning Ritual to keep you honest, I made a journal page to keep at your bedside to guide you through the sleepiest of mornings! Journal can be downloaded below, make several copies or tape inside a journal. Make a check mark for the Sip, Stretch and Breathe. Gratitude and Goals are below. ENJOY and have a productive day!